Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Potato Head on Felt

A toy inspired by...a toy.  What fun!

This is really fun and easy to make.  To start:  any frame will do.  I went to Goodwill and found a new frame for $2.99.  Awesome!  Remove the glass and wrap felt around the cardboard backing.  I had to buy felt off the roll because the frame was 11.75 x 15.75 - weird.  This was a good size though, I wouldn't want it smaller, and the felt was less than $3.

Use hot glue to hold the felt to the back of the frame.  Trim as you want.  I knew I'd be hanging this or laying it flat, so I wasn't worried about neatness.  Felt sticks to felt, so this is the perfect background for a felt Potato Head.

Ta-da, a blank canvas!


Now just free-hand a potato, ha ha.  (This project is so fun to make.)  I drew half a potato so that my final potato would be symmetrical.  Place your pattern on the frame to judge how you like the size leaving room for shoes and hats, of course. 

Trace your pattern onto a folded piece of tan or brown felt.



Cut out your potato and you're halfway there.

The next step is the most fun.  Design some accessories!  It's impossible not to smile while making these.  I had so much fun.  I made up the patterns but you could possibly find hat/mustache/etc. clip art online to use as patterns.


Use various colors of felt to cut out your new accessories.  Remember, felt sticks to felt!  Hot glue pieces that need held together - hat layers, belts, etc.  Hot glue works beautifully on felt.  When playing the pieces will naturally stick to the potato.  Fun, fun!



I hope you enjoy this as much as I did.  Such a simple, silly toy. 

Craft time:  3 hours
Cost: $5 in felt, $3 frame
Play time:  Well, 5 minutes before I took it away, my little 17-mth-old is too young to really 'get' it.
Age:  I would guess 20 mths+



No comments:

Post a Comment