Saturday, July 28, 2012

Fabric Ironed onto Walls

What a great idea!  I saw this concept at This Thrifty House and had to try it in our nursery!  It is pretty simple to do and definitely eye-catching.


All you need are fabric scraps, double-sided fusible web (often used for applique) and an iron. 

We have dots on my son's wipes case, toy box and some of the crib bumpers, so I carried the theme forward.  I searched my home for circles of various sizes.  I used a hurricane vase, cup, candle holder, etc. 

Trace your circles onto the fusible web with a pencil or pen.  Then cut around them, leaving a margin, and peel off the back.  Stick them to the back side of your fabric.
Cut out your shapes.  This was so easy to do while watching a movie.  :)  You can see that I hadn't ironed them perfectly flat before cutting, but it didn't seem to matter later.

I used double-sided tape to hold them on my son's wall so that I could manipulate them and decide where I liked them.  Do not peel the 2nd paper off the webbing yet!  Just put tape on the paper and press that against the wall.  Tip:  Wad the tape into little balls, make it bumpy.  It will be so much easier to take it off the wall later.  I originally just laid it flat against the wall and had a heck of a time peeling off the little pieces!

Once you like where your pieces are, it's time to iron.  I used a med-hot setting, no steam.  I held the iron against the wall for about 15 seconds.  Do not move around the iron, but press one spot at a time.  Pressing made my fabric look better.  This was because my son's wall isn't flat!  It has slight texturing, something I hadn't even noticed before.  Moving the iron made the bumps stick out. Pressing left the fabric smooth-looking.

We think it turned out pretty fun! 




Craft time: 2 hrs- dependent on your shapes, number, etc.
Cost:  Double-sided fusible webbing is about $6 for 5 sheets.  I used fabric scraps.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment